При двухстах орудиях на километр фронта о противнике не спрашивают и не докладывают.
If you have two hundred guns per kilometer of the front, do not ask about the enemy and do not report about him.
- Marshal Kirill Moskalenko, 38th Army
Alternate names: duplet, dupel', dvuhstvolka, Kolokol'chik
When one gun doesn't cut it, get two.
Sensors: day/night optical
The 2S35 is one of the late Soviet weapon projects that got bogged down for two decades and is only now brought to fruition. Due to increasing effectiveness of counterbattery fire, militaries around the world sought to increase the firepower of their self-propelled artillery. Solutions such as the liquid-cooled autoloaded XM2001 Crusader proved impractical, while cannons beyond 203 mm (such as the 2S7 Pion) could not be deployed at that level of troop organisation.
One of the simplest solutions to the issue is the 2S35, which has two guns on an otherwise generic platform.
Two 2A70 howitzers, linked to a single hydraulic autoloader, which is in turn linked to the massive magazine in the rear of the turret. Additionally, there is a KOrD remote-controlled AA mount on top of the turret.
- Pre-fragged HE round
- High-pressure modular powder charge - increased range
- Krasnopol' - laser-guided shell package
- 2A115 cannon-howitzers - increased barrel length yeilds superior ballistics.
- Bunker-buster round - high-velocity rocket-propelled with penetrator cap, highly inaccurate without laser guidance
- Advanced FiConSys
- Airburst round - unlike 120s, it is outfitted with a radar proximity detector, more reliable.
- Satellite Downlink - direct space-to-ground TV imaging data transfer provides increased targeting resolution. Note: said satellites have to be present.
Incoming fire has the right of way.
- Murphy’s Law of Combat №2
Some may he shocked to find out that the final 2S35 variant is mounted on a Peresvet chassis, but the concern is misplaced: the only two shared elements are the armoured crew capsule and the tracks. The armoured crew capsule maximizes crew survivability, while the tracks grant minimal set-up and can absorb the recoil without outriggers (after the Kondensator, nothing is impossible).
The rest isn't as inspirational. The front is engineered for maximum internal space and features a flat plate from track to track. The turret has obvious shot traps and vertical sides, while the exposed sizeable magazine results in numerous painful critical hits.
The baseline plating is designed to resist 30 mm kinetic rounds.
- Ceramic applique plating
- Shtora-1 - with doubled Tucha smoke launcher capacity.
- "Fire-finder" radar - designed to detect and warn of incoming fire.
- Kontakt-6 ERA
- ECM - multiband (but primarily radio), designed to counter air attacks.
Inheriting the massive chassis but weighing only 50 tons, it uses a weaker engine, and due to the fact that it spends a lot of time sitting in position with all the systems online, the spare engine bay room is used for the autonomous power unit (APU) chemical cell.
- Twin supercharger - combined centrifugal/positive array to increase acceleration, again, very good when switching position.